NextFab has been in business a little more than 3 years now, and throughout our history, we’ve tried to strike a balance between making membership as affordable as possible and providing the highest quality facilities and services to help our members achieve their goals.
An explanation of Community Membership
Standard Membership offers tremendous value - access to a multi-million dollar facility, expert staff, and community for only $129 per month! However, most members experience periods of time when family, work, or financial constraints make maintaining or using a membership more difficult. In response, we have created Community Membership and Day Passes as a courtesy for those members wanting to step away from full time membership without incurring re-initiation fees and losing access to the community.
Because new members typically take many classes and need frequent facility access, we recommend that you initially join at the Standard Member level to avoid the additional cost of day passes. Nevertheless, we have offered the option to join at the Community level, because it provides a low-risk way of “test driving” membership.
You may have joined NextFab as a Community Member because you were unsure about what to expect from membership. Hopefully, you liked what you discovered and decided to take more classes. At this point, you may have been unhappy to discover that a Day Pass and a class fee are required. If so, we apologize. Please know that if you find yourself wanting to take classes and dive into a project, we want you here! As a Community (or Weekend) member, you can upgrade your membership at any time (even mid-month) to make an intensive effort more affordable. The cost difference will be prorated and you will not be double charged. If you then find yourself between projects, just let us know before the next billing cycle and we’ll happily change your membership type back to Weekend or Community.
What you get with membership at any level:
- Discounts on and access to special events and workshops
- Email updates about specials and pre-sales for limited offers
- Member forum access as a learning resource and to find help/work
You never need a day pass for:
- New member orientation
- Wood shop safety training
- Metal shop safety training
- Complimentary introductory classes, such as:
- Getting started at NextFab, a 1 hour guided Q-and-A
- Introduction to CAD
- Intro to 3D Printing
- NextFabulous Social events, hosted monthly
When a day pass is required for Community Members:
- To work in the facility more than 1 day per month
- To take a paid class at NextFab
- To participate in a club meeting such as robotics or welding
Junior Membership Options
With a lot of feedback from members, we decided it should be our goal to provide families an affordable option to bring their children to NextFab. With that we would like to present a new option for members with families:
- Adult members with any membership level may add a minor to their membership for an additional $30/month
There are a few fine print details below but that’s pretty much it. Bring your kids and work on projects together. We’re going to try out this pilot program for the next couple of months and see how popular it is. Don’t worry about your child being kicked out if we don’t continue the program, you’ll be grandfathered in until you youngster hits 18.
- Security deposit is shared between all members of “Family”
- Initiation fee of $150 is required for each member of “Family”
- Adult member may be parent, legal guardian, or mentor with written approval from parent/legal guardian
- Minor must be directly supervised by adult at ALL times
- Adult and minor must both be certified on any hazardous tool to be used
- Adult must attend any training sessions attended by minor
- Adults with existing certification may audit training session for free
- Minors 10-13 are restricted to the 2nd floor and classroom but may attend all safety trainings in a “hands off” manor if accompanied by an approved adult.
- Minors 14-17 are restricted to supervised use at the discretion of NextFab Studio management
- Minors may be added to membership at any time
- Minors may be removed from membership at the end of a current billing cycle
- When a member turns 18, their add-on status will end. They can either end their membership or continue as an individual member (at any level) by placing their own security deposit down.
Vice President, Member Services